Have you rejected us, O God?
Will you no longer march with our armies?
Oh, please help us against our enemies,
for all human help is useless.
With God’s help we will do mighty things,
for he will trample down our foes.
The prudent understand where they are going,
but fools deceive themselves.
That it was declared with certainty that there will be a day when “the Lord gives you rest from your sorrow, and from your fear and the hard bondage in which you were made to serve…”
Luke 4:1-13 - The purpose of the wilderness (Maxwell)
What happens in the “wilderness”?
- We recognize that God will lead us into seasons of growth, not gratification.
- We fight battles and overcome temptations to take shortcuts.
- We learn discipline and the art of depending on God.
- We are broken of self-sufficiency and self-promotion.
- We solidify our sense of mission.
- We gain perspective.
- We are prepared to enter our vocation.
Luke 4:3-19 - Jesus in the wilderness (Maxwell)
The first person you lead is you.